With bated breath, I awaited the start of the Lin Dan-Chong Wei match. Sigh, just like everyone in my household was predicting - a straight set thumping by the saluting Lin Dan. Sigh (again). I was on the opposite of the camp, even after the first set, silently hoping there will be a complete reversal, just like the match with Hyun Il. Like they say, the rest is history. Sigh. We can say all the negative things we want about Chong Wei, buckled under pressure, jittery play, mistake prone, etc. However, I refuse to dwell on the negatives. AT LEAST, CW played to his ranking, more importantly. Even the most seasoned and mentally strong athletes have buckled under the pressure of securing an Olympic Gold, what more, CW will be doing for the first time (albeit a fairly legitimate one) for the country ! In my opinion, as long as the athlete performs to his/her ranking or expectations (e.g. battling his/her personal best), kudos to them. It is not easy to play to your ranking esp. in this pressure-cooker like conditions.
So, Chong Wei, you can stand tall ! Bury this disappointment, use it as an impetus, a drive to excel further, avenge the defeat in the next All-England, World Championships and even the 2012 Olympics ! Nothing is impossible - just look at Zhang Ning who wrested the gold from the World No.1 (and Lin Dan's beau), Xie Xingfang, at a ripe age of 33 (and plagued with injuries). Mind over matter ! Mind over matter !
Since I'm on this Olympics page, I would like to also salute the performance of the 20-year old Azizul Hasni Awang - our Keirin and 200m sprint specialist. He does not have the stature in comparison to his fellow competitors - he actually looked dwarfed by the super expensive aerodynamics bike, but like the English commentator said, "Do not look down on his overall physique, he has strong and solidly trained quadriceps and most importantly, he has the explosive power, which augurs well for sprinting events like the Keirin and 200m". He was ranked a highly seventh at the Qualifying stage, and twice had to go thru the 'backdoor' (repechage) in the rounds of 32 and then, the 16, to be the only Asian (there were 2 Japanese and Chinese riders each earlier) to qualify for the quarterfinals. Well, as I am typing this blog now, Azizul will be facing the favorite and 2004 Olympic Gold medallist (Chris Hoy of Great Britain) in a few minutes time. Honestly, I wish him the best, but in reality, he won't stand a ghost of a chance vs. Hoy. Having said this, give Azizul some time, and I have the confidence he will be a world beater comes the next Olympics.[Update : Azizul lost by half a wheel to Hoy, who is the overwhelming favorite for the Gold Medal]


No comments:
Post a Comment