Monday, August 25, 2008

From Beijing to London

Well, time flies and after an eventful fortnight of constant chasing and following-up with the latest and greatest on the tube (aka Astro), the Beijing Olympics baton was finally 'handed over' to the mayor of the city of London, where the 2012 event will be hosted. Arguably, this Olympics has been my most watched ever, partly with the wide coverage on Astro. Somehow, I didn't remember much of the 2004 Athens event, probably because I was in the U.S. with my family then.

Anyway, the Beijing Olympics has been pretty eventful, right till the end, with the incredulous Taekwondo incident, where an unruly (over-80kg category) Cuban exponent launched a flying kick at the referee for discontinuing the bronze medal fight due to the longer than allowed injury time taken by this 2004 Gold medalist ! So much for the Olympics spirit ! Needless to say, both the exponent and his coach have been banned for life. Talking about rage ! And, the exponent's first name is Angel :-)



Well, I'm not going to blabber about the countless drama and happenings during the course of the 2 weeks, but just couldn't resist to take a jab at the Datukship bestowed upon our Mr Badminton Silver Medalist ! Now, I have no objection of the 300K, or even the monthly 3K pension granted to Chong Wei, but awarding the Datukship, was just plain silly and well, I just felt it was purely of a political stance. He just basically played to his ranking, and even if he would have won the gold medal, I wouldn't agree that the Datukship should be conferred. Anyway, this will be my last Olympic's comment !
[Update : :-), now Misbun will also get a Datukship and RM60K as pocket money !]

One sporting event ends, another just begin - Yes ! The Barclay's English Premier League, and for those of you who're scratching your heads - English Soccer season has started . . . . Duh ! Go Liverpool !

No comments: